Wednesday, February 9, 2011

My Time In Costa Rica With Youth With A Mission

Last week, I traveled to San Jose, Costa Rica to visit the Youth With A Mission base there.  I have dear friends I have made over the years there, and I was asked to come and speak to the new students in the School of Worship, and in the Discipleship Training Schools currently underway there.  I was so amazed at the level of growth during the week with students.  Most of these students came from deep religious backgrounds, so they knew the scriptures by memory, but were so jaded and hardened at the same time.  Many had deep disappointments, many had serious wounds from church, from parents, from friends, etc.  God began to address heart conditions almost immediately from day one.  He moved in the way of words of knowledge and prophetic words over many students over the first two days.  God was calling people's identity and destinies to them, and addressing any lies and comparisons that ruled their mindsets.  There was a lot of tension, followed by lots of personal decisions made for more of God, and then incredible breakthrough for the students.  By Thursday, we were all packed in the vans going to the beach, because 26 students wanted to be baptized!  Oh yeah!  26!  We had a great day together, the trip alone was so much fun.  By the time we got there, it was time for a game of futbol! I scored three times.  Had to share that.  Old man still has it!  Or a little bit of it left.


After a good game, it was time to get in the water, and dunk some "old man".  I explained to them that this is much much more than mere symbolism.  This was a radical choice to leave what the world calls "normal" in the way of earthly, worldly thinking, and embrace a life the Lord Jesus bought for us on the Cross so long ago.  "We are buried with Christ unto the baptism of the death of the old man.", I would tell them.  "We are then raised with Christ into brand new life forevermore."  "Is that what you want?" "YES!!", they would scream.  I asked them if they had any last words before the old man died a watery death.  So many of them wanted me to hold them down under the water an extra 5, 10, even 15 seconds before we would pull them back up.  Some sang a song of declaration, some gave incredible statements of determination and life purpose unto the Lord.  This was certain.  They knew what they were doing.  They were dedicating their lives that very moment to the purposes and dreams of God for their lives.  I was so moved.  That day, I was able to baptize heroes, and champions.  I was deeply humbled.

God, I pray that I never stop giving You away to others, and You never stop sending me to them.  I am Your son and vessel FOREVER!!

Amen

1 comment:

  1. I need a like button to push!!!
    So awesome.

    ReplyDelete